Reality Shows : Enough time to Have to deal with Particulars.
Indian reality shows like Sa Re Ga Ma, Indian Idol are building up tremendous fan following and garnering hefty popularity for the channels airing them. The shows are targeted to showcase the hidden talent in the nooks and corner with this vast nation -a nation that’s bountifully endowed with gifted people. And these reality shows are simply a platform to cover tribute to the gifted folks of this blessed land. How else can we ever come face to manage with hidden and obscure talent!
Right platform or not, a very important factor is sure to date there is no other equally effective alternative scheme that has been presented before us to hunt and showcase genuine talent. We may not trust lot that’s happening in the name of showcasing talent in these programmes. Lots of gimmicks are resorted to by the producers of the reality shows which might offend the finer feelings of mind and soul. Not withstanding all that, one is compelled to acknowledge the fact that there is overall good being done to the society, maybe inadvertently. Lets take a deeper look at the pluses and minuses of the truth shows as platform to showcase one’s talent:-
- The entertainment industry in India has found its moorings in this century. Quite simply it’s come of age. Television is an important component of entertainment industry. Television is also maturing in India.If we take a retrospective view, within the last few century Television was languishing in India airing programmes attached to Indian Cinema only. But with the advent of Reality shows television viewing has brought a totally different dimension. Percentage increase of viewership has brought an exponential jump. With this increase in demand has come the logical increase in supply, building a virtuous cycle. The web result could be the magnetic draw of big time money in television. One must admit that there are other genre of shows also which have contributed generously to today’s happy situation, but host to Reality shows in this plot is undeniably there for several to acknowledge.
- With big time money comes professionalism and that brings more competent people to participate force. The resultant is bigger, better and slick shows for audience to savour.Bigg boss 6 tamil vote
- Entertainment industry in general and Indian Cinema in particular benefits greatly from such Reality shows. Talent hunt in such a geographically vast nation is a tedious and daunting task to say the least. So before Reality shows came into existence music directors took the shortest route and worked with the same pair of singers you may count on your little finger. And young singing talent in India went unsung (pun unintended). Very few talented youngsters may have such high motivational level regarding leave everything and arrived at Mumbai to exhibit their talent, knowing fully well that they might not be able to fix up an audience with music directors for years. Reality shows have given such talented youngsters a well known platform to showcase their talent and draw attention of music directors of all hues.
- In effect such Reality shows are not only accomplishing the tedious task of ferreting out fresh talent, but additionally helping towards ushering in professionalism thereby enhancing quality in music industry. With high popularity rating comes better sponsorship. With better sponsorship comes bigger money which encourages talented youngsters to take music much less a pastime but as a vocation. That brings better quality, competitiveness and professionalism. This is just the beginning. There is enough talent in India to take the world by storm. Don’t believe it? Just think on what A R Rahman and Sukhwinder Singh duo did at the just concluded 81st Academy Awards.
- Popularity of such Reality shows is likely to make producers to experiment with modifications to this successful model. In future we may see Western Music talent being showcased successfully. Then can happen coup d’etat as Indians storm in to the professional Pop and Rock bastion of the West. That would be the last frontier.
Sometimes Reality shows might be accused of being biased in declaring the winners of the events. Or the producers may ignore blatant usage of unfair means by participants in the future up trumps. So in the end the viewers might be left wondering if the winner was the best of the lot. Sometimes it’s possible to get emotionally upset to find glaring anomaly in declaration of winner such shows. Before you lose heart and dump these entertaining programmes once and for all, take a dispassionate look at the following facts:-
- Simply because the outcome was rigged or unfair doesn’t take an inch away from the wonderful young talent that has been showcased by these programmes.
- Who significantly more than us Indians know for a fact that each facet of our existence is coloured by unfair practices! There is unfair means being employed at every step that we take. Does that show that we forsake everything that’s unjust and unfair. Don’t we still chug along? Then can we not take such practices in these shows inside our stride. After all we ought to realise that ultimate winner of the shows could be the Music industry, the entertainment industry combined with the young talent and audience.So imagine if the producers, sponsors and maybe some cheats also win in the bargain.
- As conscientious audience we can voice our displeasure in abandon in various fora, in case we find something unpalatable in collection of winner. That will work wonders with the producers because they rely on us for popularity ratings, which drives sponsorship. Such Reality shows are in nascent stage of evolution in India and with audience opinion there is no doubt that numerous checks and balances will be put set up even as we go along. That will ensure more transparency and better selection process of winners.
The requirement of the hour in India is to put in foundations for professionalism in most activities that we undertake. Professionalism comes through finances which sponsors bring to the table. Talent is in abundance in India, be it music, sports, research, any performing or fine arts. Magic lies in hunting them and showcasing them in proper professional platforms. Reality shows like Sa Re Ga Ma, Indian Idol are doing just that. Keep carefully the ball rolling! Be cautious about the Indian Entertainment Industry next decade!!